I’m not a chef. To me, it’s no coincidence then that pineapple custard pie is often amongst the dishes we still gratefully (as in, we still eat it cause it’s a sin to waste food) receive at home. I know that the custard filling in the pineapple half moon pies uses water, so I’m thinking some of our elders figured they’d use that same filling mixture for the flat custard pies, just less water so that the filling could set more solid I guess? He had 2 huge pieces. lol, You decide how big you want to cut your pie pieces and your guests will decide how many pieces they want to eat…lol Sorry Cathy, I don’t know the answer to this question. Lol that’s my favourite @ ‘fua le va’ai’… but it’s so true though. I think I used two cans, but I don’t remember what size cans those were. Spread generously on top of the cooled filling and then stand back and marvel at your wonderful creation. Hey Renata… so if you’re not doing the meringue topping, then you don’t have to do anything after you’ve put the filling in the crust. Melt the butter. Hello from the US. So the cream – for the filling, I use normal cream. It was my first time trying out this recipe and it turned out pretty good. Be careful not to boil or the milk will curdle. Second, is it heavy cream that you use? Thanks. It is often too doughy, tasteless, and sometimes even thicker than the filling itself. Thank you. While I currently live in NZ, I grew up in Hawaii so I’m familiar with US products. I can’t remember where I got it from – probably Martha or Nigella or Jo – or maybe I was clever and adapted this from all of them, but it is so simple and yummy…. your own Pins on Pinterest Wen I see that jello looking filling straight away I think ‘the runs’ ….. lol… so I tend to steer clear…. Cathy. Roll each piece out into an 8” (20cm) circle. , Thankyou for this delish recipe to you and aunty Sarah, (I wonder if she’s my aunty Sarah?)….nah! First, at what temperature do you bake the crust and for how long? Hope that helps. What did you use? Just finished making this! thank you yummy yum yum…, Hi Karen.. wow that’s really exciting to hear. thanks for the additional insights. I would really like to make your dessert but cannot without a better recipe. Someday, I’m going to take a pie around to Auntie Sarah for her final and conclusive verdict. OMG! Awesome, awesome recipe! Get One Samoana updates sent to your inbox: Grease a tin (I also sprinkle a little flour over the grease, I don’t know why). I read your post last week and asked my husband if he would like me to make him a pineapple pie. Beat until stiff. Oka se magaia! I’m going to make this, this weekend. Saved by htaufa. I’m a Kiwi girl but have been living in Australia for 32 years now. This recipe is from week six of my food blog, Travel by Stove. 2nd time I made it just coz. No you haven’t offended me lol I was getting around to you, I promise … Okay, so some answers: I use Edmonds Custard Powder. Lol…. Add vanilla if required. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until frothy, add cream of tartar and sugar. I made the pie and everyone loved it including me very easy pie to make so happy thank you so much, Malo e lelei from an expat Tongan NZder living in Arizona! Hi hamogeekgirl, got a couple of questions for you. according to me, anyway. Usually I steer clear of gluten, dairy and refined sugar…. Stay tuned for a bit of tweaking on this recipe . I just went to a baby shower yesterday where there was a beautiful pineapple pie. Tried out the pie and actually used the egg yolks in the custard filling (the traditional way of making real custard). Put some of your cooled pineapple filling into the centre. Spread the meringue thickly and evenly onto the piping hot filling – right to the crust on all edges of the pan. I made your puligi last night and it was a HUGE hit with my family. In the meantime, please let me know what you think of our version of this pie, and maybe share a few tips of your own in a comment below. Throw like a cup and a half of double or whipping cream into a bowl with a quarter cup of sugar and beat till thick (firm peaks is good). Thanks a lot. about self-rising flour. I am so so happy and can’t wait to make it and remember so many wonderful memories with my in-laws and my husband and his siblings fighting over her delicious pie. , Thanks Srikandi. (I love vanilla, so I use at least a tablespoon). I was the one who emailed you by the way about the great pai fala...and FINALLY I can comment :) Thanks for reviving and enhancing those good old Samoan recipes for us. When the pie gets cold the crust gets soft why is that? 1st time I made for my husbands Niuean family and they loved it! Learn how your comment data is processed. anyway I made it and it turn out the best pie I done and the only one i baked. I like the flavour of the juice in there…, How many people does this serve? I’m glad everybody liked it , Hello we just finish our pineapple pie was yummy, was the first pie I ever Baked and so proud of myself thank you,now thy want another one……. With its usually flavourless meringue or cream topping, this pie was destined for a top spot on my list of Samoan delicacies that I just don’t get. I like to let that happen under a food umbrella on the dining table before chilling in the fridge for another little while. lol. Its like a miniature version of the pineapple pie. I have made it twice now, once for my daughters cultural shared lunch, and second was just today for to’ona’i considering it’s white Sunday! One evening I made a rare public appearance at a function held at my uncle’s church. You see that photo up there of the custard mixture in the pot? Guess what? Tongan Food Fijian Food Samoan Food Fijian Recipes Samoan Recipes Hawaiian Recipes Hawiian Food Chamorro Recipes. NOTE: If you’re going to use meringue, prepare it before you make the filling. Your email address will not be published. And will post up my pic..gosh. This yummy pie is great as a dessert for to'ona'i and family gatherings. For the pastry, do I use egg yolks or whole eggs. Crisp but not flaky, firm but not too crunchy, with a subtle, buttery sweetness of its own, it was just the right texture to support the smoothness of its filling. Is the custard powder the same thing as Bird’s custard mix? Hi Loli… I’m not sure what happened there. You got me craving some pineapple pie now. Thank you thank you so much! The filling for half moon pies is similar, but includes water,so it’s more gelatinous than creamy. Can I use the same recipe for the custard cup pies? Nov 10, 2015 - The Long Story (Skip to the recipe) If your family is like mine, someone's bringing food home at least once a fortnight from a church, family or other social function. Ingredients: (Pastry) 4 cups self-raising flour 150g butter 1 cup sugar 4 egg yolks 1 cup milk. Imagine my excitement when I learned that the genius behind the pineapple custard pies that night was none other than Auntie Sarah, my mom’s close cousin. I haven’t tried the recipe yet but I I just have one question pls. I’m still to perfect the art of faausi or fausi… u get my drift. My crust was soft like a cake, still yummy but I want a nice crispy hard crust? I even adjusted accordingly as you had recommended. It’s been a hectic few months in my offline world, I’m only now beginning to catch up with this blog and comments. I don’t see that it should be a problem though to use this recipe for them. Cut your dough into 5 equal pieces. Hi Cathy, Bird’s is another brand. Add your cream of tarter and vanilla, then beat again for ages, adding the sugar a little at a time, until you get thick, glossy, soft peaks. She got it long ago from Auntie Sarah’s late sister. One batch of our chilled dough still worked really nicely even after 3 weeks. Like lots of old Samoan recipes are? As you say, you just have to tweak it to your own tastes. It’s definitely on my list of dishes to try making, so anything I can pick from your brain, I will truly appreciate… Yes I shall try my hardest to keep blogging lol xx, OMG! I’m still laughing at the “vague” old samoan lady instructions…..that’s what my mums whole recipe book sounded like…..and add to that her saying to me “e fua le vaai”….nice to know it wasn’t just my mum who expected you to know what she was talking about. I would describe its flavour the same way, too: somehow creamy and light at the same time, perfectly complemented by sweet and tangy pineapple in every bite. I used your recipient recently and received a lot of compliments. . I will definitely let you know how it goes once I gather everything together. 87. No matter how precise a recipe might be on paper, so many things could go wrong if the cook ain’t using her eyes and common sense, right? Several of us have asked questions but no responses. Thank you for the recipe, they will love it! And she was cremated where abouts in New Zealand you stay in South North etc, do you have a Facebook Account ka kite. Instead, it was a creamier, lighter yellow that was just firm enough to stand on its own, but soft enough to so beautifully melt in my mouth. If your family is like mine, someone’s bringing food home at least once a fortnight from a church, family or other social function. Hi Lauren. Hello….. Love this recipe because its very similar to my Auntys recipe…. Lightly wet the edges of the piecrust with water, and then fold one half of the pie over the other. Auntie Sarah made her pies with cream, so this meringue is my own go-to recipe. Simply mix the pineapple, sugar and milk in a saucepan and heat until simmering. Have I offended you in some way that you quickly answer others and I have been waiting since March? Beat in remaining … My husband and daughter, who have never had pineapple custard pie, loved it as did my mom. Well, that obviously didn’t happen, but I finally made that pie today. Divide into … Also, I learned something from lots of cookie baking that might help. Add 1 or 2 cans of crushed pineapple after custard is boiled. But at the same time I was confused. If our Samoan style pineapple pie can taste this nice, why had I never experienced this before? Hi! Step 4 Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F … The Long Story (Skip to the recipe) If your family is like mine, someone’s bringing food home at least once a fortnight from a church, family or other … Glad you like it. It takes about 20 minutes for the crust to get nice and golden, but I always have my eye on the oven cause I’m prone to burning things . I really don’t like the crust. So you just bake the crust, cook the custard, pour the hot custard into the crust and (if you’re not doing meringue) let it cool completely, top it with whipped cream and you’re done. Most of the time the food is yuck, a consequence of either cheap catering for lots of people or all the good stuff got swiped before the take-a-plate-home-ers got to the table. More importantly, though, I really love it! Hamo Geek Girl is head geek in the One Samoana umukuka. Do you drain the pineapple before adding it? Remove from oven and pour the pineapple mixture on top. Once the mixture stops ‘bubbling’ in the heat and starts to ‘plop’ instead, add your crushed pineapple and however much vanilla extract you want lol. Your email address will not be published. Our girl Timena Apa shares her recipe for Pineapple Pie - a dessert favourite with all Pacific Islanders! As soon as it boils, turn the heat down and let it simmer while you continue to stir. does this work for half moon pies?? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It’s important that meringue goes on while the filling is still very hot, so: filling ready, pour into the crust, immediately top with meringue. Looks great! Judging by all the pieces of take-home pie I’ve tasted, however, it’s apparently really easy to get this recipe wrong (at least according to MY taste buds). DIRECTIONS. The filling is always so …gelatinous, with that kinda firm yet wobbly consistency that I only really appreciate in, well… jello. Mix in pineapple, coconut and vanilla. So now I like to chill the dough for a little while so it’s easier to work with, then I make sure the sides are covered right up to (and even a little bit over) the rim of the pan. Okay, press that dough into your pie tin – make sure you have plenty up the sides of the pan to anticipate for some shrinkage – and bake till golden brown. I used a different crust recipe because I didn’t have self-rising flour, but I followed the rest of your recipe. My crust sank to the bottom, what did I do wrong? Thank you thank you thank you!!! Make the filling ahead and give it ample time to cool to room temperature. Hi Chev.. I’m going to have to make this pie again very soon so I can figure out what’s happening with everybody’s pie crust not coming out like mine lol.. All it says on the recipe card is: Use full cream or mix cream and milk, no water. X. You’re welcome! If you put the meringue on top it will spoil the custard. . Hi Cathy… I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you (I also saw your message on Facebook). love this filling recipe!!! Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until done. Hi. How many people does this make 1 9 inch pie or the rectangle pan in the picture that looks like it serves 20 (9×13 size). More information... People also love these ideas Sep 12, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Brenda . What is the difference between milk and cream? Samoan Pineapple Pie. Do you drain the juice before adding it or put that in also? Add to top of pineapple pie and bake until lightly browned in a 375 deg F oven. I’m sure it will be just as nice as a slice but would be good to know for next time…..thanks Luana. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Thank you very much for uploading this recipe. I made Paifala (Pai Fala) for the event, sweet Samoan hand pies filled with a pineapple custard. Fast Forward time and I am now able to make the so called pineapple pie, but cleaning up afterwards is more of a trouble, but definitely worth it. Now their Sagato Bakery & Cafe offers flaky meat pies and signature baked treats.

samoan pineapple pie

Chamberlain Email Address, Cabbage Egg Pancake, Big Gummy Bear, Where Do Stray Cats Sleep In Winter, Day Lilies Price, Buy Casio Ctx700, How Can Ethnic Separatism Lead To Devolution, Fabaceae Pronunciation Latin, Graphic Design Questions And Answers,