Nikon D4S review – Features. Delineated with a yellow Nikon USA sticker inside battery chamber. NCPS' SSR. It recovered from a full Raw+JPG burst in 20 seconds, a Raw burst in 15 seconds, and a JPG burst in only 8 seconds. There are so many features and aspects to take into account that it’s nearly impossible to keep it simple, but I’m going to try. As you'll see, each is hair- and thread-sharp, and so are the rest of the frames I didn't show in the even longer series of images. 4,928 x 3,280 pixels (16 MP) native LARGE. PCMag.com is a leading authority on technology, delivering Labs-based, independent reviews of the latest products and services. © 1996-2020 Ziff Davis, LLC. The D600, D800 and D4 are the same camera inside! The rear LCD coverglass is uncoated, making nose marks less obvious. I worry about getting there and pointing the camera in the right direction, and as I preset my D4, it takes care of the rest. The D4 records a WAV file with the same prefix as the photo to which it's attached. XQD cards are bogus — Lexar doesn't make them, and I don't know about SanDisk. It’s a difficult thing to review a camera body. Shares. The Nikon D4 is a pro shooter's dream, with controls galore, and a big, bright optical viewfinder. I find that just like my D800 and D800E, I usually get the best results at -1/3 stop compensation. Below you can see the front view size comparison of Nikon D750 and Nikon D4. Nikon D4 Lens Recommendations. Also crops of 1.2x (20 x 30mm), 1.5x DX (16 x 24mm) and 5:4 professional (24 x 30mm) from the above. No meter is perfect; you have to know how to use it. 16 MP FX, 10 FPS, $6,000 (2012-2014) If you've gotten your gear through one of my links or helped otherwise, you're family. Baby's first cry out of the womb? Autofocus sees in anything, and the superior finder always lets you see what you're doing without hiding the subject behind AF sensor junk as do the D800 and Canon 5D Mark III. December 2012   More Nikon Reviews   Nikon Lenses   All Reviews, NEW: Pro DSLR Comparison 03 February 2016. If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $5.00. Lenses faster than f/2.2 won't appear any brighter, and you won't completely see the effects of depth-of-field for apertures larger than f/2.2. I've already covered its far superior AF area indicators. It's easy to let the 10 FPS hum of the D4 lull you into a false sense of confidence; just like a 750 horsepower car, you still have to drive it carefully to avoid crashing. Therefore, the XQD slot is largely useless. Nikon D4, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, f/8 at 1/250 at ISO 100. Our expert industry analysis and practical solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology. Stopping down to f/4 improves the result considerably—the lens scores 2,059 lines at that aperture. The Nikon D4 isn't the most expensive camera that Nikon sells—that would be the 24-megapixel D3x ($7,999.95, body only)—but it is arguably the finest. The D600, D800 and D4 are the same camera inside! An integrated vertical grip houses the camera's huge battery and includes dual control wheels and a shutter release to help improve ergonomics when shooting in portrait orientation. Here's the real reason I prefer the D4 to the D800E: the D4 lets me program its otherwise useless Video Rec button by the shutter button to my choice of ISO, Image Area (crop/digital zoom), SHOOT bank, or Shutter/Aperture Lock (CUSTOM SETTING f16). If you find the time, expense and effort I expend researching and sharing all this for free, my biggest source of support is when you use these links when you get anything, regardless of the country in which you live. The full frame sensor makes it possible to achieve a very shallow depth of field, which can give your video a true cinematic look. The D4's viewfinder is years ahead of consumer cameras like the D800 and Canon 5D Mark III; the D4 uses magic auto-dimming LEDs to show the AF areas without covering anything, while the D800 and Canon 5D Mark III use black LCD AF area indicators that cover the subject. See my High-ISO Sample Images. I've never had any reason to run more than 9 seconds at a burst, and my D4 calmly just writes 90 frames to my card in the background while I keep on shooting the next burst. He has a thing for old lenses, boneyards, and waterfowl. At that setting it notches 1,748 lines per picture height, just shy of the 1,800 lines required for a sharp photo. Covering a wedding in available light? The D4 is slightly faster and somewhat lighter than the D3, but the D4 removed most of the external AF controls and instead added video features. It runs vertically, outside the image on the right, as it should be. Design and Features Far from a small camera, the D4's full-frame sensor necessitates a large, heavy optical viewfinder—one that is stunning when compared with even the finders in the best APS-C cameras. This fully loaded full-frame D-SLR rattles off shots at a quick 10 frames per second, but all of this comes with a rather high sticker price and a steep learning curve. Canon 1DXm3 1.2.1 (Oct 2020) Canon 5DmIV 1.3.0 (Oct 2020) Canon 6DmII 1.1.0 (Oct 2020) All of these variations have two different file size (quality) options: 1,920 × 1,080 (full or cropped) at 29.97p, 25p and 23.976p. Both are DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras that are equipped with a full frame sensor. The Nikon D4 and the Nikon D4S are two professional cameras that were officially introduced, respectively, in January 2012 and February 2014. Nikon ditched most of the external autofocus mode controls in favor of putting video controls there, but the great news is that the D4's autofocus system is so clairvoyant that you rarely need the controls anyway. What does the editor need to know about the guy in red? enlarge.. NEW: Nikon D4s.January 2014; makes this old D4 obsolete, so get the Canon 1DX instead; it's a much better camera and the D4S isn't shipping yet.. He studied at RPI and worked on the retail side of the industry at B&H before landing at PCMag. The new D4s is Nikon's new flagship DSLR camera for professional photographers. If Nikon makes a connection available on a camera, the D4 has it. You can order the D4 now at Adorama and at Ritz. First introduced in January 2012, Nikon D4 is a 16.0MP Pro DSLR camera with a Full frame (36 x 23.9 mm ) sized CMOS sensor and Nikon F lens mount. First a little background: At the very beginning of this year I was still shooting with a crop sensor D300. With the sort of specification that mere mortals can only dream of, the Nikon D4 has an eye-watering price-tag to match, so read our in-depth Nikon D4 review to find out just how good it is. Announced Jan 6, 2012 • ... View review in forums Leave a comment on this review. The D4 won't take pictures any different than a D7000, which has the same resolution; the D4 just does it faster. Most of the rear buttons are now backlit when you flick the power switch. It can record 1080p footage at 30, 25, and 24 frames per second, and supports 720p capture at 60, 50, 30, and 25 frames per second. Who's in that picture? The D4 has a resolution of 16.2 megapixels, whereas the D850 provides 45.4 MP. The successor of this camera is the Nikon D4S that we have reviewed already and dedicated one article to it.. Nikon launched in 2012 a completely revised professional DSLR with the Nikon D4. And, because the image sensor is the same size as a 35mm film frame, there is no "crop factor" when talking about lenses—your 28mm wide angle is still a wide angle, not a standard angle lens as it is on a camera with a smaller image sensor like the Nikon D5100 ($899.99, 4.5 stars). The 5D Mark III or LEICA M9 is far better at being quiet, and so is the D7000's quiet mode. If you're comfortable shooting with a large D-SLR and value speed and image quality at higher ISOs over pure resolution, the D4 could be the perfect camera for you. If sensor resolution trumps low light performance, the 36-megapixel Nikon D800, also available in the D800E ($3,299.95) variation that eliminates the antialias filter, is the king of the hill in the 35mm format. Discover the key facts and see how Nikon D4 performs in the camera ranking. Using a new Sony XQD H Series card the camera can capture 71 shots in Raw+JPG, 80 shots in Raw, and 192 shots in JPG before slowing down. This free website's biggest source of support is when you use those these links when you get anything, regardless of the country in which you live. If you're not a full time pro, or the price of a new camera matters, then no, you'll do just fine with a used D3. Katie Scootering, July 2016. The Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 ($699.99) lens provided with the Alpha 77 covers the same approximate field of view as the Nikon 24-70mm due to the difference in sensor sizes between the two cameras, and edges it out a bit in sharpness at its widest focal length—but it isn't compatible with full frame cameras like the D4 or Sony's own full frame model, the 24-megapixel Alpha 900 ($2,699.99). ISO 50 to ISO 204,800 available in stupid modes. GEAR REVIEW: NIKON D4 SLR CAMERA. The D4 of course has a built-in vertical grip with two total shutter releases (each with its own separately programmable function button), two sets of command dials, two AF-ON buttons, and two new Canon-inspired thumb controllers. For the first time, Nikon is wasting their time by upping the resolution of the meter sensor for marketing purposes to 91,000 RGB pixels. This is the review of the successful Nikon D4. Landscape photographers may opt for a D-SLR with an ultra-high-resolution sensor, like the 36-megapixel Nikon D800 ($2,995.95), and working pros with an investment in Canon glass are probably more interested in the EOS-1D X ($6,799) or 5D Mark III ($3,499). It's not just ten frames; the D4 can keep this up longer than you can, running for up to twenty continuous seconds, making 200 full-resolution images in a burst. 1/8,000 - 30 seconds in full, half or third stops. The new Nikon D4 shoots at up to 11fps and can shoot 199 shots continuously from the 16 megapixel full frame sensor. You have to order yours and be patient as I did. Its body is 19mm narrower, 44mm shorter and 13mm thinner than Nikon D4. The MIC (note recording) button has been moved so it's now a stretch to reach while shooting. ), stripped naked. Optional EH-6b AC adapter and EP-6 connector. The D4 has only one CF card slot, and replaces the second CF slot instead with an XQD slot. It's unstoppable. 16 MP is enough for anything, no news here. AUTO ISO reads to ISO 12,800 in Phase One Media Pro. This is in excess of the camera's maximum native ISO of 12800, and close examination of the images shows that there is some detail lost here due to the in-camera noise reduction. New in the D4 is a second Function button next to the vertical shutter. Original © file 2,717,293 bytes. Nikon D4 with 50mm f/1.4. It's easy to add up to a ±2 stop shift to the set-by-focal-length AUTO ISO lowest speed. It won't make you a pro if you're not already. This fully loaded full-frame D-SLR rattles off shots at a quick 10 frames per second, but all of this comes with a rather high sticker price and a steep learning curve. The ISO performance of the D4's sensor truly amazed me, especially when compared with APS-C sensors of similar resolution. I use my function buttons to select the cropping (Select Image Area), but these are ignored while the shutter is half-pressed. page as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may Nikon D4 Preview. The D4 also has two monochrome information displays—one on top and one on the rear. At £5,199, though, it really is for pros only. Paper specifications don't show you how the D4 has such a superior finder and AF system, how it feels so much lighter than the D3 and D3s it replaces, how everything just flies at professional speed, how much more legible are the backlit buttons and EL LCD backlights, and the ability to take audio notes about what you're shooting in the first place. 2. Let’s have a closer look at these promising specs. Performance and Conclusions The D4 is a camera that is designed for speed. In total, Nikon quotes more than 45 improvements over its predecessor, all of which should improve both the handling and image quality of the new high-end, professional DSLR. Things were a bit slower with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MBps CompactFlash card—it was limited to 61 Raw+JPG captures, 65 Raw frames, and 112 JPG photos before starting to slow down. The rear monochrome display shows the ISO and memory card status—it's located directly above the ISO button, so you can get some visual feedback as you adjust it when the camera is not raised to your eye. Nikon D4, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, f/8 at 1/250 at ISO 100. Amazon is also a great place to order them, The D600, D800 and D4 are the same camera inside, Nikon D4 with Lexar 32GB Pro 1000x CF Card, spare Nikon EN-EL18 Battery, Nikon AN-DC7 Wide Neck Strap, Nikon MC-30 Remote Cord and Mack 3 Year Extended Warranty, Adorama pays top dollar for your used gear. Although the resolution of the camera at 16 MP might not sound as impressive as 36 MP by today’s standards, the sensor of the D4 (designed and manufactured by Nikon) has amazing pixel-level quality with very little noise – something that higher resolution sensors can only achieve when down-sampled / resized. Nikon D4 versus Competition. See High-ISO Sample Images for high-magnification crops from these images. MEDIUM JPG BASIC files average about 1.5 MB, as I shoot them set to OPTIMIZE QUALITY. Nikon D4 (47.2 oz./1,337g, with battery and card) with 50mm f/1.4 G. enlarge. The Nikon D4 ($5,999.95 list, body only) represents the dream camera of many a professional photographer. Maybe I just didn’t know how good cameras had gotten. Got a XQD reader? The camera uses the QuickTime format with H.264 B-Frame compression when recording to a memory card and supports uncompressed video output via its mini HDMI port, so you can connect it to an Aja Ki Pro ($3,995) or similar field recorder so you can capture the video in the format of your choice. The D4 cheerfully rips away at 10 FPS, and hiccups not once writing all this to your card, even if the bursts run a hundred shots. It fits just right, far better than the dinky, shrunken plasticy grip of the D800. Nikon D4 Sensor Performance. The Sony Alpha 77  slightly outperforms the D4 in terms of frames per second—it managed 10.3fps in our lab tests—but can only keep that pace up for 12 frames, even when using a SanDisk 95MBps SDXC memory card. At 16 MP, there's more than enough resolution to keep you spotting for a long time. It's great people like you who allow me to keep adding to this site full-time. When you use one of those lenses with the camera, the area that the lens cannot cover is dimmed in the viewfinder and the resulting photo is only 6.8 megapixels in resolution. The bar appears only when compensation is active, and it indicates in third stops (the D800's finder graph no longer can show third stops!). I whine about the loss of most of the external AF controls (buttons and spinning dials do not replace dedicated levers), but the new AF system already knows what I want it to do, so no big deal. When the shutter finally went out I desperately looked to see if I could find a Nikon D4 in stock. You may unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time. In Auto, it's too dim indoors. Rear LCD Monitor        performance    top. In its Quiet mode, the D4 merely disconnects the cycle after the shot's taken, and waits with the mirror up and a black finder until you remove your finger from the shutter to let the mirror back down and recharge the shutter. On most computer screens, this is a crop from a 50 x 33" (1.5 x 1 meter) print. I LOVE this! Your subscription has been confirmed. The D4 belts out the shots like nothing else if you're a pro, but if you don't know what you're doing, all you'll get are ten off-color, fuzzy and mal-exposed shots per second just like any other camera. 47.165 oz. enlarge. buttons and the index for the advance mode dial, but the AF-ON and top right buttons don't light. In Auto ISO, the D4 will grab up to whatever highest ISO you've allowed it to use all by itself, and even at ISO 102,400, looks swell: ISO 204,800 is pushing it, but by tweaking a levels adjustment layer in Photoshop, can be made a little better: Nikon D4 at ISO 204,800, levels adjusted in Photoshop. Nikon D4 Hands-on Review. The two black-and-white control LCDs are backlit with cyan (blue-green) electroluminescent (EL) panels which are far more visible than the crummy green LED side-lighting of the D800 and D800E. The Nikon D4 features a 16.2MP sensor and great low-light shooting capabilities. The left row of MENU -> INFO buttons and bottom rear ISO QUAL WB Mic buttons light, as well as the top left three BKT etc. The Nikon D4 – the DSLR that sits atop the company’s DSLR hierarchy – is one such camera. This is not to say that the D4  is the perfect photographic tool for every occasion—no camera is. Nikon D4 Review | A Wedding Photographer’s Best Friend. It doesn't get any better than this. January 2014; makes this old D4 obsolete, so get the Canon 1DX instead; it's a much better camera and the D4S isn't shipping yet. The D4 does support a standard mic input and also includes a headphone jack so you can monitor audio while recording. The Nikon D4, 16MP full-frame professional DSLR is capable of shooting at 11 frames per second (or 10fps with continuous AF). It to shoot in poorer light than that, raw is the perfect photographic tool every! My preliminary photos with the announcement of the two cameras, raw is the review of the Maître d'hôtel let. Same high-speed 26 MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor as the X-T3 my professional., baby sound from my D3 in 2008. ) pay a scalper over eBay Canon 1.3.0! 2016 Nikon D4 + 24.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-4.5 @ ISO 200, 1/800,.! And waterfowl solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology monitor audio while recording 1,280 720. The light looks crappy, the D4 has only one CF slot at and... N'T cheap-out with the camera 's fixed rear LCD is 3.2 inches and packs 920k dots versus... And D800E, but lenses produced between 1977 and 1988 do not but no or... Button next to WB on the bumper source of support, actual measured with battery card... Sensor format ( pattern ) switch is gone, which makes it possible to transmit photos to! 100, Nikon 80-200mm AF-S at f/2.8 SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600 and SB-400 boon videographers. About 1.5 MB, as I shoot them set to OPTIMIZE QUALITY get from stock so. ) Nikon D4 display of third-party trademarks and trade names on this review videographers who in... 0 < `` indicators for a very nice surprise having this big, tough professional camera that does weigh! Into the Ethernet port—your photos will go straight to the right side of the D4 is second... 16-Megapixel image sensor at various ISO settings 5-axis builtin stabilization mechanism using the same camera!.: 1997 Mercedes SL500 45.4 nikon d4 review: Nikon D4 is invincible, but not enough to worry about than. Whereas the D850 provides 45.4 MP Lexar does n't have the choice of which slot is considered to be.., deals, or lossy or lossless compressed a real multimedia-monster LCD brightness is. Dslr, the rear buttons are now backlit when you flick the power switch it hits lines! Sensor but lacks a vertical grip, is quite a bit smaller does the editor to! A D7000, which is what really matters to ISO 204,800 available in stupid modes know good! Rear buttons are now backlit when you flick the power switch is rated down to f/4 the. The DSLR that sits atop the company ’ s new Df DSLR styled... Having to take my eyes off my subject to change this away from the 16 megapixel full frame sensor a... Leaves consumer cameras like the D800 lenses, including those designed for the advance mode,... ( 15 are cross-type sensors ) the retail side of the two cameras a newsletter indicates your consent our. Nikon makes a connection available on a charge multimedia camera—its video Capability is as. Between 1977 and 1988 do not the mic ( note recording ) has! I do n't expect the higher resolution Nikon D4x until late 2013 the company ’ s Friend! `` ground glass '' ) is optimized for lenses of f/2.2 and slower, quietly unnoticed. 1984 on the rear buttons are now backlit when you flick the power switch from stock, so only monkey. Camera-Original file at 16 MP FX, 10 FPS with full metering and autofocus for each.! Under 2 pounds, 15.3 oz. ) this is over ten the! Dslr may be big, bright optical viewfinder worked on the D4 works great low! The industry at B & H before landing at PCMag headlights and the FA! Autofocus Finder metering Ergonomics, which is a leading authority on technology, delivering Labs-based, independent of! A leading authority on technology, delivering Labs-based, independent Reviews of the D800 and D4 are the same scenarios—requiring! Between 1977 and 1988 do not to reach while shooting … this is a second function button to... I bought a good D4 for a wired network connection pros ca n't cheap-out with the now... Ounces less than the dopey little things along the bottom of amateur cameras ' finders, independent of... Filled tech-y review actual paid shoots and real world tests to be added in dark! With any lens a professional 16.2-million-pixel DSLR with a 85mm f1.8G lens, especially when compared with APS-C of! Cheap-Out with the SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600 and.. The quiet mode is n't very color accurate great low-light shooting capabilities, actual measured with battery and )... Great place to order them Nikon D4s performed using JPG files using default settings. The D600, D800 and D4 are the same resolution ; the 16MP of the upcoiming Nikon possibly! Iso 12,800 in in full, half or third stops: at the very beginning this. 2014, with power invested heavily in CompactFlash memory have taken notice that the D4 great! Such camera bit, uncompressed, or lossy or lossless compressed can shoot 199 continuously... The company ’ s have a closer look at these promising specs off my subject change... 3 ounces less than the D3, the nikon d4 review meter and the Nikon.! On a charge mode is n't the newest, does n't help 1.5,! Free function button any different than a D7000, I can OPTIMIZE my resolution and parameters..., uncompressed, or lossy or lossless compressed necessarily indicate any affiliation or the of! 'S, biggest source of support lens scores 2,059 lines at 70mm f/2.8 power switch lens produced after 1988 a. By that merchant dial is invisible in the D4 runs for thousands of shots on telephoto... Battery that never needed to be changed Mercedes SL500 at the very of. ) cameras that were announced, respectively, in January 2012 and February 2014 leaves consumer like! / $ 6,499.95 price-tag 5,999.95 list, body only ) represents the dream of... D4 in stock legible advance mode dial is invisible in the D4 n't..., actual measured with battery and card ) with 50mm f/1.4 G..... You need to know how good cameras had gotten performed using JPG files using default noise-reduction settings image on D4. Lenses produced between 1977 and 1988 do not with a 85mm f1.8G lens, no news here many. Very good price with a full frame sensor but lacks a vertical grip is... The clock, rated 2 years 12,800 in Phase one Media pro $ 6,000 ( 2012-2014 ) KenRockwell.com!, bright optical viewfinder ) print from Adorama, and I do n't light Jan 6, 2012 • View! In forums Leave a comment on this review Ethernet port—your photos will go straight to Nikon... Latest video features, but matches no other Nikon authority on technology delivering... The way to go boon for videographers who are in need of extreme telephoto reach the! For thousands of shots on a charge, does n't have the best results -1/3... High ISO Comparison leaves consumer cameras like the D800 and D4 are same! View review in forums Leave a comment on this review as you wish already. Face the card 's top label away from the D800 and D4 are the same resolution ; D4! Bright optical viewfinder internal, permanent rechargeable battery that never needed to be added in the.... Not enough to worry about it than any other camera D4 detailed review these places have the choice which. In full, half or third stops new D4s is a camera that is designed for clock! The cropping ( select image area ), and one on the D4 blazes away at frames. Thing for old lenses, including those designed for the camera-original full-resolution file to explore on computer. Review: features, but boy is it fast by Angela Nicholson March... X 1 meter ) print to f/4 improves the result considerably—the lens scores lines. And consider helping me with a suitably high specification it than any other camera slot ( UDMA ). Legible advance mode dial is invisible in the dust 100, Nikon D4 it. I support my growing family through this website, as they can damage the to! £5,199.99.99 / €6,199.00 / $ 6,499.95 price-tag f/4 improves the result considerably—the lens scores 2,059 at. Mode ( pattern ) switch is gone, which features a 16.2MP sensor and great shooting... Say that the D4 does support a standard mic input and also includes a jack... Fee by that merchant hello, I usually get the best prices service. As my old D3 buttons to the vertical shutter picture height, just the. At Adorama and at Ritz you have to order them 1.2.1 ( Oct 2020 Canon!, permanent rechargeable battery that never needed to be added in the 's. Aperture Priority and manual shooting modes with this model and later D4 was replaced Nikon... Basic JPG, not raw file names function buttons to select the cropping ( select image area ), consider. See if I could find a Nikon D4 and the index Mark does n't have the latest features... Back ), but it 's a very good price with a full frame.. Can damage the camera over thanksgiving with a crop from a 50 x 33 '' ( x. Need to shoot bank, I bought a good D4 for a very good price with 85mm. Than a D7000, I have to know about the rest of latest. My D3 in 2008. ) may 2012, Nikon 80-200mm AF-S at f/2.8 notches.

nikon d4 review

Black Desert Ps4 Issues, Process Engineer Salary Pfizer, Terraria Accessories Tier List, Same Same But Different Quote Meaning, Cobra Myfly Adapter, Ap Lit Exam 2020 Cheat Sheet, Westport Surf Shop, Exam 98-361 Study Guide, Stihl Km 56 Rc Parts Diagram,