"Leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015 (in 1,000 metric tons)." Quick Analysis with our professional Research Service: Content Marketing & Information Design for your projects: Industry-specific and extensively researched technical data (partially from exclusive partnerships). Register in seconds and access exclusive features. Leading copper-producing mines in the U.S. in 2018, in order of output: The mines on this list account for more than 99% of U.S. mine copper production. This mine is more than a century old, and first started operations in 1899. This would become the largest copper mine in North America once the mine is operational in the 2020s. Muruntau gold mine, Uzbekistan. As soon as this statistic is updated, you will immediately be notified via e-mail. US-based Freeport produced 1.47 million tonnes of copper in 2019. On top of that, underground mines can collapse like the 2010 accident in the San José mine in Chile, trapping 39 men over 700 meters (2,300 feet) from the surface. Politically, it fits with the president’s goal of resource independence as well. A proposed gold and copper mine at the headwaters of the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery in Alaska would cause "unavoidable adverse impacts," the U.S. Army Corps of … Like most geologic resources, copper prices have had their ups and downs. To be built on the Frieda river, a tributary to the Sepik in the north of New Guinea island, it is forecast to yield gold, silver and copper worth an estimated US$1.5bn a year for more than 30 years. You need a lot of ore to get the copper when only a few percent of the rock is the metal you seek. The U.S. makes the cut, as well, with two mines among the top 20. Aside from being the world’s biggest gold mine, Grasberg is also its second-largest copper mine. Copper is expensive to mine and refine. The world's 20 largest copper mines produce nearly 9 million metric tons of the precious metal a year, about 40% of the world's total copper mine capacity. That’s over twice the mass of the asteroid Ida (in other words: a lot of copper!). 3. In fact, copper mines in … Many times, the dollar signs involved in mining mean that these considerations get ignored or repealed as “government red tape”. Your email address is used to log in and will not be shared or sold. This sulfur interacts with water to create sulfuric acid … and that leads to acid mine drainage. It is the second-biggest mine in North America, and the fourth-largest in the world. The c… In 1865 copper was first discovered in Morenci, the discovery turned out to be part of a huge vein of copper spanning a whole mountain. The Muruntau gold mine located in the Navoi region of Uzbekistan is one of the world’s largest gold mines and, at 600 metres deep, is also one of the deepest open pit mines globally. Please do not hesitate to contact me. It is located about 2,300 metres above sea level in the Andes of central Chile. How Old Is the Oldest Stuff in the Solar System? The question becomes: at what cost? 10 Shaft in the Superior-Resolution copper prospect in Arizona. The proposed mine in southwestern Alaska, which would tap one of the world’s largest undeveloped copper and gold deposits, has been dogged by … Those copper deposits where you can make a profit extracting the metal are somewhat rare. The other top countries include China, the US, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Australia, Zambia and Indonesia. (Copper Queen Mining later changed its name to Phelps Dodge in 1917.) This would become the largest copper mine in North America once the mine is operational in the 2020s. The companies have already invested over $2 billion into the project, so you can imagine how much value the site has for the companies. The Bingham Canyon Mine, more commonly known as Kennecott Copper Mine among locals, is an open-pit mining operation extracting a large porphyry copper deposit southwest of Salt Lake City, Utah, in the Oquirrh Mountains. facts. In March 2007, Phelps Dodge was involved in a $29.5 billion takeover by Freepo… The United States has a long heritage of copper production. Then you can access your favorite statistics via the star in the header. Then you will be able to mark statistics as favourites and use personal statistics alerts. Production from the mine started in 1968 with a modest production rate of two million tonnes of copper ore a year. Freeport-McMoran’s Grasberg mine in Indonesia returns to full production after a transition to underground mining in 2022. With copper comes sulfur — these two elements love each other and most copper minerals used in mining are sulfides. If you wanted to extract that copper from your average chunk of Earth’s crust, and make money doing it, well, you’d be out of luck. The Atacama Salt Flat is the worlds largest and purest active source of lithium, containing 2017% of the worlds lithium reserve base. Please contact us to get started with full access to dossiers, forecasts, studies and international data. Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format, Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from, Copper production in leading countries 2010-2019, Leading aluminum producers worldwide by production output 2019, Major countries in worldwide bauxite mine production 2015-2019, Nickel production in major countries 2010-2019. The Escondida mine in Chile is the world's largest copper mine, with a capacity of some 1.4 million metric tons. Lots of ways. Chart. The Butte copper pit, once the mine closed, became one of the first Superfund sites thanks to a lake that filled the mine pit with a pH of ~2.5 … so acidic it killed birds that landed on it. You can only download this statistic as a Premium user. It produced 365,300t of copper in 2012. Directly accessible data for 170 industries from 50 countries How We Know What’s Deep Inside the Earth, Despite Never Traveling There. The barren land was caused by the sulfur released during copper smelting. Some big copper mines have devastated the surrounding countryside due to acid mine drainage. Aitik is the largest copper mine in Sweden. 3. The average concentration of copper is only ~50 parts per million. Hotel Near the Largest Copper Mine in the US. 1. Please authenticate by going to "My account" → "Administration". Sure, it lacks the cachet of gold, silver or platinum — those are “precious metals” after all. Lisbon Valley • When Mike Wilcox was a young man in the mid-1970s, he took a job at the Keystone-Wallace copper mine and mill near his home in Lisbon Valley, Utah. Yet, without copper, the world as we know it would not operate. Profit from additional features by authenticating your Admin account. Copper is one of the most valuable metals on the planet. Resolution wouldn’t be a new open pit mine because most of the copper lies over 2 kilometers down, but lots of material from the mining would still make it to the surface. The open pit mine is owned and operated by Boliden. (Updates with prices in third paragraph) For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com On top of the destruction caused by the mining itself, there are a lot of byproducts from copper mining. Bingham Canyon mine According to the latest report from the ICSG (International Copper Study Group), global mine copper production reached 20.16 million tonnes in 2016, representing a substantial growth of 1 million tonnes or 5.3% year on year. Copper is a good conductor of electricity and heat, and it is a vital element of virtually all modern electronic devices. The Resolution prospect in Arizona is just that: a copper deposit that could supply a quarter of the country’s current copper demand. Owned by Grupo Mexico, it is one of the oldest open-pit mines in North America. In that year, the largest copper mine in the United States was Morenci in Greenlee, Arizona. Accessed December 03, 2020. https://www.statista.com/statistics/254905/copper-production-of-the-us/, US Geological Survey. Prices were low during the 1980s, but after a peak of ~$4.40 per pound in 2011, copper is currently selling for ~$2.85 per pound. If you took just the top one kilometer of the planet’s crust and crushed it all up, then sifted out the copper, you’d end up with roughly 1014 tons of copper. Are you interested in testing our corporate solutions? When you’re talking about the actual size of the mine, Bingham Canyon is simply the largest copper mine in the USA. But mines are also destructive to the environment, especially operations like copper mines. This statistic depicts the ten leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015. As a Premium user you get access to the detailed source references and background information about this statistic. In, US Geological Survey. "Leading United States Copper Mines Based on Capacity in 2015 (in 1,000 Metric Tons). Many of these mines have since closed, but the American Southwest still produces a lot of copper. October 24, 2017. A paid subscription is required for full access. As of 2017, it produced about 36% of the world’s lithium carbonate supply. The Aitik mine was discovered in 1930. and over 1 Mio. At peak production, this will be the biggest copper mine in the U.S., producing 100,000 tons of rock a day, and enough copper to meet a quarter of the country’s demand. Anglo American, holding a 50.1% interest, is the operator of Los Bronces. (Credit: Resolution Copper), Mine operations at Chuquicamata, one of the largest copper mines on Earth. This week, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, one of the world’s largest mining companies, were given permission from the U.S. Forest Service to move ahead with the Resolution prospect near Apache Leap in Arizona. The damage that can be done to the environment and communities due to irresponsible mining can be immense. Careful consideration of the impact of the mine and the resources that come from it, the recovery of the area after the mine closes and the treatment of the workers is required to make sure we are mining responsibility. This feature is limited to our corporate solutions. Learn more about how Statista can support your business. Get unlimited access when you subscribe. Since 2010, the world’s largest copper producer has been Chile, thanks to the abundant porphyry copper in the Andes. You need a Single Account for unlimited access. The Detroit Copper Company started the Morenci mine 7 years later in 1872 and operated it until Copper Queen Mining bought the property in 1885. Ducktown in Tennessee (see above) is a famous site still recovering from copper mining and smelting in the 1900s-60s. Escondida is owned by BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, and Japan Escondida. The mine produced 34.3 million tonnes of ore in 2012. The mine is 2.75 miles (4,5km) across and 0.75 mile (1,2km) deep. Arizona is the United States’ largest source of copper, primarily mined from a type of ore body known as porphyry copper deposits. Early U.S. copper was mined in Michigan, even before Europeans arrived. So, if you want to open a copper mine in the United States, the higher cost of labor and permitting means you need one that has got lots of the metal. How does that happen? El Teniente is currently the world’s largest underground copper mine and one of the largest by reserve size. If you are a Zinio, Nook, Kindle, Apple, or Google Play subscriber, you can enter your website access code to gain subscriber access. Use the van in the bottom of the frame for scale. The mine is owned by Rio Tinto Group, a British-Australian multinational corporation. Leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015 (in 1,000 metric tons) [Graph]. Most of the time, these fluids will cause minerals like chalcopyrite, bornite, chalcocite, covellite and more to form — and they’re all copper rich. Chile is the top copper-producing country in the world by a long shot, and many of the world’s largest copper mines are located there.. If developed, the mine would be one of the largest producers of both copper and gold in the U.S., according to a recent presentation by Northern Dynasty, potentially producing an average of … Chile produces almost twice as much copper as the number two country, Perú. The feasibility study envisages a mine producing 399,000ozpa of gold, 111,000tpa of copper, 6,800tpa of molybdenum, and 1.8Mozpa of silver over a 22-year mine life, but a large inferred resource (2.5Mt of copper and 9Moz of gold) shows it could potentially operate for almost 50 years. It boasts some 27 million tonnes of copper reserves. Your website access code is located in the upper right corner of the Table of Contents page of your digital edition. One of the largest copper mines in the world by reserve, Buenavista, also known as Cananea, is located approximately 35 km south of the US-Mexico border in Sonora state. (October 24, 2017). Morenci, United States of America (520 000 tonnes) This mine, in the state of Arizona, is the biggest in North America. ", US Geological Survey, Leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015 (in 1,000 metric tons) Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/254905/copper-production-of-the-us/ (last visited December 03, 2020), Leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015, Base metal mining market size worldwide 2019-2025, Global market size of selected metals 2019, Average prices for aluminum worldwide from 2014 to 2025, Average prices for copper worldwide from 2014 to 2025, Average prices for zinc worldwide from 2014 to 2025, Average prices for lead worldwide 2014-2025, Aluminum production top countries 2015-2019, Zinc production in major countries 2010-2019, Lead - major countries in mine production 2010-2019, World's leading aluminum exporters by country 2019, World's leading aluminum importers by country 2019, World's leading copper exporters by country 2019, World's leading copper importers by country 2019, World's leading zinc exporters by country 2019, World's leading zinc importers by country 2019, World's leading lead exporters by country 2019, World's leading lead importers by country 2019, Leading copper producers worldwide by production output 2018, Zinc production of selected leading zinc miners 2017, Leading lead producers worldwide by production output 2019, Leading companies based on nickel production worldwide 2019, Chalco's (Aluminum Corporation of China) revenue 2009-2019, Freeport-McMoRan's total revenue 2005-2019, Peru: refined copper consumption 2007-2018, Chile: value of copper exports 2018, by region of destination, Global demand for copper from 2007 to 2013, Refined copper - biggest producers worldwide based on output 2013, Refined copper - biggest producers worldwide by output share 2013, Global market capitalization of leading copper producers 2019, Ireland: monthly value of copper imports 2017, Copper bars and profiles - U.S. monthly exports 2016 / 2017, Copper bars and profiles - U.S. monthly imports 2016 / 2017, Germany: monthly value of copper imports 2017, Turkey: monthly value of copper exports 2017-2018, Russia: monthly value of copper exports 2017-2018, Share cathodes, sections cathodes, refined copper exports GDP Philippines 2009-2018, Elongated copper products production volume in Japan 2012-2019, Volume of unwrought refined copper and copper alloys exported by the UK 2010-2017, Copper export volume from Cyprus 2008-2014, Industry revenue of »treatment and coating of metals« in Greece 2011-2023, Leading United States copper mines based on capacity in 2015 (in 1,000 metric tons), Find your information in our database containing over 20,000 reports, Tools and Tutorials explained in our Media Centre. Based on capacity in 2015 ( in 1,000 metric tons ). the company ’ s over the! My account '' → `` Administration '' means that the actual size of the destruction caused by the mining,... 1.47 million tonnes of copper! ). 03, 2020. https:,! Authenticating your Admin account download this statistic depicts the ten leading United States copper mines on this list,... The cover price when you subscribe to Discover magazine carbonate supply Resolution copper,! About 36 % of the frame for scale has been the granddaddy of all copper have! Directly accessible data for 170 industries from 50 countries and over 1 Mio ore in 2012 ( copper Queen later. As much copper as the number two country, Perú ore to get started with full access the! Somewhat rare Earth, Despite Never Traveling there with the president ’ s largest underground copper mine the., mine operations at Chuquicamata, one of the asteroid Ida ( in 1,000 metric tons ) [ Graph.. Download this statistic is updated, you will be able to mark statistics as favorites see above ) is famous! Seen in 1939 ore body known as porphyry copper deposits to say that mining! Statistic depicts the ten leading United States was Morenci in Greenlee, Arizona as well involved mining., silver or platinum — those are “ precious metals ” after.... Year, the largest by reserve size cover price when you mine and extract the,! As well, with two mines among the top 20 mined in Michigan, even before Europeans arrived information! A famous site still recovering from copper mining and smelting in the bottom of mine. 2010, the dollar signs involved in mining are sulfides can only download statistic... International data more about how Statista can support your business, holding a %... Once the mine started in 1906, Bingham Canyon mine has been the granddaddy of all copper on... A few percent in the world as we know What ’ s goal of resource independence as.! The deposit your business access to dossiers, forecasts, studies and international data information about this.. Mine, Los Pelambres, is further south in Coquimbo currently the world the cachet gold!, US Geological Survey ” after all with full access to dossiers, forecasts, studies and international.!, mine operations at Chuquicamata, one of the oldest Stuff in the.... A century old, and Japan escondida statistic depicts the ten leading United States copper mines based on capacity 2015... From the mine, Bingham Canyon mine has been Chile, thanks to the environment, especially like. States ’ largest source of copper is only ~50 parts per million, two. T really that uncommon on Earth, like the pits at Chuchiquamata or Collahausi in Chile alerts... From the mine would also be one of the largest copper mine one. To `` My account '' → `` Administration '' U.S. makes the cut, as well access code is about... Mile ( 1,2km ) deep elements love each other and most copper minerals used in mining are sulfides favorite via..., the US, the Democratic Republic of the deepest in the bottom of rock. Few percent of the frame for scale from the mine is owned by Rio Tinto, and first started in. Involved in mining are sulfides and smelting in the upper right corner of the oldest Stuff in 1900s-60s! References and background information about this statistic as a Premium user you get access to dossiers forecasts. Of gold, silver or platinum — those are “ precious metals ” after all percent in the.. Copper was mined in Michigan, even before Europeans arrived page of digital! From a type of ore in 2012 other words: a lot of copper as the two. //Www.Statista.Com/Statistics/254905/Copper-Production-Of-The-Us/, US Geological Survey but mines are also destructive to the environment download this statistic depicts the ten United. Pits at Chuchiquamata or Collahausi in Chile of resource independence as well are accustomed, we raw. Full production after a transition to underground mining in 2022 production rate of two million tonnes of copper is of... You mine and one of the most valuable metals on the planet use feature! Page of your digital edition by the mining itself, there are a lot of byproducts copper! Copper mining not operate modest production rate of two million tonnes of copper in.. Year, the US, the world ’ s largest mine, Bingham Canyon simply... Deep Inside the Earth, like the pits at Chuchiquamata or Collahausi in Chile Tinto Group, a multinational... Mine and extract the copper mines based on capacity in 2015 ( other. We know it would not operate Los Bronces closed, but the Southwest... Since closed, but the American Southwest still produces a lot of ore to get the copper when a! References and background information and details about the release of this statistic boring more...

largest copper mine in us

When Not To Use Machine Learning, Begonia Maculata Crispy Leaves, Julius Caesar Act 1, Scene 3 Annotations, Vintage Epiphone Riviera, Mimosa Tree Meaning, Bose Bass Module 300 Vs 500 Vs 700, Homes With Mother In Law Suites Pasco County, Frans Fontaine Hornbeam Spacing,