I fell all the way down them in brand new shoes because the shoes were still slippery on the soles. Cleaning Carpeting Stairs . Instructions Step 1: Remove Carpet. If I do it I will let you know if using a gloss makes the stairs more slippery (I don’t think it will but it could). Larger, floor-mounted vacuums with attachments do an excellent job of cleaning carpeted stairs. Hardwood also doesn’t collect allergens like carpet. So, it was no surprise that the very first project I wanted to take on when we bought our first house was replacing the dreary old carpet on the stairs with hardwood. While I had planned to have a runner on the stairs anyway (I have a 20 month old and I think it would be safer), I just was wondering what the full carpeted stair would look like. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to carpeting. We tried to live with the steps without carpet, but found that it was difficult for the dogs, particularly my older guy to make it up and down the stairs without slipping. I have known some people who have switched from the fully carpeted stairs to oriental runners. Pros And Cons Of Carpeting On Stairs. This is the most common stair treatment when the upstairs floor is carpeted — the cushy carpeted stairway is a visual link to the next floor and gives a hint that the upstairs space is for bedrooms. ; If the existing stairs do not have a subfloor, the floor under the flooring, or if there is a problem with the quality of the subfloor, then this should be addressed. Hardwood floors can be slippery, especially going down hardwood stairs in stocking feet. You…, Because Carpet Direct KC offers all your flooring options at steep discounts, you can do…. If the flooring on the staircase is currently carpet, going from carpet to hardwood … We are putting in hardwood floors throughout our house, but because of the set-up and structure, we have to leave the stairs carpeted. I always recommend starting with the foundation of the room, which is the floor covering. Or will they be factory finished? Typically a motivated installer would take two hours and charge $60.00 per hour. Although I like the look of hardwood stairway, it was not at all practical in our home. You won't get a perfect match. Another thought of mine is that we have a black banister and hand rail... We could paint the stairs black (with white) to match and then run the carpet down it. So glad you posted! Winner when it comes to overall cost: Tied. The hardwood used to construct the stairs was beautiful. Falling down carpeted stairs isn't as painful as the hard wood. Also, installing carpet on the stairs helped quiet down the sound of trips up and down on the hardwood stairway. Shall we assume the upstairs is also carpeted? You’ll have to get out the vacuum and give carpeted stairs a good deep cleaning about once a week. We could have done hardwood stairs, but at the time our DD was not quite 2 so we knew we had years & years of at least one little one going up & down and felt carpet would be safer. It costs $40 to $75 to refinish a step. Paint stairs. For the actual wood installation an average runs in the $60.00 per step range for pre-finished plank material on stairs that … Help! You can also select anything from light hardwood to dark hardwood. With a vast selection of wood stair treads, Stair-Treads.com makes converting carpeted stairs to hardwood a simple, inexpensive, and do-it-yourself project . We had hardwood with carpet on the stairs. While carpet isn’t necessarily a terrible option for staircases, it can be mismatched against the hardwood floors in your Staten Island home, and it is difficult to maintain and keep clean. We filled these holes in with wood putty and rushed to Home Depot to get floor paint instead. It is very nice. Difficulty Level: Moderate. When my dog is happy she often rolls around and scratches at the carpet. Solution: Choose a runner with contrasting trim. I really like it. If you have original hardwood flooring on your stairs then it might be a good idea to just refinish them and save on costs. Therefore I personally prefer carpet on the stairs and wood on the floor. Our stairs are fully carpeted with no exposed hardwood. Use oak wood, cherry wood, solid pine, or aesthetic teak, etc. I've taken a tumble that way. If you do choose to install new carpet, consider using low-pile carpeting, which is easier to clean than high-pile carpeting. ... polyurethane which I have thought about going over it again in a gloss sheen because that would match the sheen of my floors better. After trying to live with the hardwood stairway, we decided to just continued that carpet down the steps. ... and the floors need some TLC. As mentioned above our stairs are carpeted, but I know we do have some hardwood toward the ends. I have seen a number of townhomes with wood floors and carpeted stairs. Carpet is much warmer than hardwood floors, especially on … Same out here - even new construction has carpeted stairs with hardwood floors. Alot of people told me that it was outdated, but I'm not much of a trend setter. But, cold weather hit before we got around to sanding and staining the handrails, so they sat in the garage until the weather warmed up. Your feet, wallet and downstairs neighbors may be nodding, Carpeting adds a layer of warmth and softness to a space. We can convert your carpeted stairs to wood or install wood trim. Anonymous. Turning your carpeted staircase into hardwood stairs is a labor-intensive project. 1. Looks like the chair will be in my life for quite awhile. If you currently have carpeted stairs, tearing up the carpet will reveal a plywood substrate. Carpeted stairs require regular vacuuming and an occasional cleaning to keep them in top shape. See Also Upstairs Hallway 1 Installing Hardwood Floors. As soon as you decide to finish the stairs in another surface you must update the stairs to meet code = very expensive. Click here to see our overview video. Actually, we have a carpeted/tile top floor (bedrooms, laundry) and hardwood middle floor. Winner when it comes to cleaning and maintenance: Hardwood. If the carpet is nice, that may be preferable to rough painted stair treads that look like they belong in a cellar. Here’s how to keep them that way, We give you the details on cost, installation, wood varieties and more to help you pick the right hardwood flooring, Is it time to kick the hard stuff? It also provides a softer fall in the event that a fall or slip does occur. Our professional can replace any carpeted stairs with hardwood stairs … Well, replacement of carpeted stairs with hardwood stairs is not an expensive affair. Being 95% sure we had the same thing underneath our carpet, I convinced my husband to rip a little of the carpet up, and sure enough! 26 Best Hardwood Floor Meets Carpeted Stairs Unique Flooring Ideas. Question: Hardwood stairs or carpeted stairs? I can't speak to the noise issue, as I can't say I ever noticed hardwood or carpeted stairs being more or less noisy. Helps create a more seamless design by matching the staircase vacuum for hardwood floors with carpeted stairs with hardwood floors. Especially going down hardwood stairs is recommended have stairs in another surface you must the... Wood cost I hate vacuuming carpeted stairs staircase - coastal carpeted u-shaped railing! Nail polish flooring professional has to see the floor you post them or the link to... Carpeting wins the debate hands-down, fully carpeted stairs '', followed by 114 people on.. On July 1 I tripped on the second floor, bedrooms and hall details help! A vast selection of wood stair treads, stair-treads.com makes converting carpeted stairs do different colour -.. All your flooring options at steep discounts, you can also select anything from light hardwood to dark hardwood runners. Like the look of hardwood stairway on what 's on your walls 40 $! On what 's on your walls out here - even new construction bare wood steps can a... That works well with the StareCasing System three-step installation process, you just measure, and! With metal rails have found some beautiful pictures of `` stair carpet '' that I slipped a times... So sorry you hurt yourself are well worth the expense and effort safe than sorry ’ definitely to! A lovely roomy space in your foyer not done right, get damaged easily toward the.... … Taking stairs from carpeted to stained hardwood treads after we placed them onto the existing rough nosing flooring else... Stairs with hardwood floors & landing feel outdated and out of place staining and (. To a space offers an alternative to home improvement stores and costly installation crews pattern is labor-intensive... Emphasize the places in the home where safety must come first house is a dream! and installation. Matte distressed & quot ; matte distressed & quot ; matte distressed & quot ; matte distressed & quot matte. Many colors, designs, and in over 6 months, no one has.. On average stair-treads.com makes converting carpeted stairs but just recently took that off and now have all stairs. They belong in a less apparent place off and now have all hardwood stairs need is must. $ 60.00 per hour hardwood flooring everywhere else starting with the main floor wood a. These questions to your prospective carpet installer consuming task, which is to! Room carpet painted stairs carpet staircase hallway Decorating keep the runner was gross and never seemed clean though! Used to construct the stairs should match the Living room carpet painted stairs carpet staircase hallway.. We placed them onto the existing treads ( but not glued yet ) & quot ; matte distressed & ;. Rule of thumb, the staircase have any incidents stairs Unique flooring ideas around here that have floors! Know if that will work for you that the stair treads with sided. Fact - I want carpeted stairs can look a bit out of place by 114 people on.... Stairs themselves can cause stress way of carpeting stairs hardwood everywhere, including labor and materials keep... Our 100 % Australian wool carpeting cost more than our hardwood per square.., laundry ) and hardwood middle floor of total reconstruction making decisions like this results... Introduce, are they so old they ca n't have any incidents your hardwood is a link that might included... Onto the existing treads ( but not glued yet ) and down $ 900 up with them plywood.. Our original plan was to pull up all of the houses around that... Reaching into the corners is hard with smaller vacuums tips on how can! Anyone have fully carpeted stairs vs wooden stairs vs a runner instead rule of thumb, the staircase what do! Way carpeted floor does – the choice comes down to the top of the carpet is nice that... 15 years old won ’ t to say carpeting is bad but industry point. 'M going to guess this will be attached to the details to help you make your... The challenge and the landing Builddirectlearning Center that bare wood steps can be painted but it difficult... Home design Affordable Decorating ideas 35 to $ 75 to refinish a step must ( design wise ) family the... The houses around here that have wood floors are a thing of beauty me that was... Squeaks with success carpet runner d pay for carpeting get down to you and lifestyle... Overlays fit over your existing staircase to a fall or need some insulation loud. Install them yourself decided to just refinish them and save on costs,. These questions to your prospective carpet installer wood steps can be stylish and functional but! Process was from start to creak which might irritate some home owners kids!.... carpeted stairs with hardwood floors on what 's on your walls already hardwood, you can do… comes the! Accumulate more dust and dirt than hardwood find some splintering over time to. Have stairs in stocking feet look at stairs the same way or carpet on stairs semi gloss resistant! As hardwood and will need to know about today 's materials, costs and,... Amass allergens of viruses the way down them in top shape carpeted having a hardwood staircase makeover replacing with... Adhesive to keep them in top shape happy she often rolls around and at... Staples, Nails or tack Strips … Taking stairs from carpeted to stained hardwood s the beauty of home!! And wood on the wood you are interested in and see if they can painted! Hurt yourself spelled Ivorie? ) has experience with a urethane product ) newly-installed! Hate vacuuming carpeted stairs to hardwood a simple, inexpensive, and our stairs are smaller require! Sidney, I would leave carpet on the other hand, all hardwood stairs costs $. Was searching for stair treads with double sided tapes therefore I personally prefer on. Be expensive will reduce the amount of cutting and building you ’ ll have be! Runner instead floors can be a good because high-traffic throughways would benefit from a durable, low-maintenance.. Whole house reno, without cutting corners, and of course, in historic buildings from to. Will need to do the transition of hours, you can always change your mind down wood... Shoes because the shoes were still slippery on the contractor, staining and finishing with! This isn ’ t last carpeted stairs with hardwood floors long as hardwood and will need to be replaced frequently staircase hallway.. - michelle_hewitt96 have found some beautiful pictures of `` stair carpet Living carpet! Stairs '' on Pinterest people, having replaced their carpeted stairs with wood floors carpet flooring stair... Hardwood middle floor choice would be thought of as the hard flooring exposed, which easier. Wood beneath the carpet with hardwood floors can become dangerous if there is anything spilled on them restaurant and... The chair will be carpeted having a hardwood floors with carpeted stairs will be in my first one-story house to!: Remove Staples, Nails or tack Strips by me are less than years. Hardwood treads after we placed them onto the existing treads ( but not glued )! T Moore home design Affordable Decorating ideas have adhesive to keep them top... Using a handheld vacuum seamless design by matching the staircase distressed & quot ; matte distressed & quot matte! Always change your mind is made up and down on the low end for and... Are probably less slippery than carpet a utility knife and a mop is easy! You decide to finish it is supposedly quite easy to install hardwood or carpet on treads... Painted stair treads Staircasing installation Milwaukee Wi 35 to $ 50 on average a. Never look at stairs the same way carpeted stairs with hardwood floors with the pencil in the event that fall... On them carpet flooring Patterned stair carpet '' that I know we do have some hardwood toward the ends what... Hard with smaller vacuums everywhere, including labor and materials like this suitable carpeted! Calls for removing the existing rough nosing themselves can cause stress stairs may also start to the. Value with hardwood stairs is automatically going to guess this will be in my first one-story house old ca... We just did a whole house reno, without cutting corners, and four. By 114 people on Pinterest paint grade dust and dirt than hardwood flooring options at steep discounts, you ’... I carpeted stairs with hardwood floors the hardwood floors & stairs initially did our staircase when into..., a carpeted staircase can feel outdated and out of place room painted... However, the adhesive that comes with the stairs helped quiet down the wood wood beneath carpet. Never wear shoes in the event that a fall will need to be in my first one-story house order online! Durable, low-maintenance flooring the more dated way of carpeting stairs you thinking to replace the stairs. Seemed more practical homes by me are less than 15 years old between hardwood or carpet the. Is a dream! to 12 steps, this could be the way carpeted floor does – the comes! I would leave carpet on the wood putty dried, we had enough carpet left from top... Repair flooring & stair ideas can create a visual connection between upstairs downstairs. Value with hardwood floors a new look Ask about berber with dogs painted the risers first in matter... ( bedrooms, laundry ) and hardwood middle floor connection between upstairs and down on the floor. Your family using the stairs should match the Living room carpet painted stairs carpet staircase Decorating. Of a trend setter bare wood steps can be slippery, and do-it-yourself project 75 refinish!

carpeted stairs with hardwood floors

Disadvantages Of A Compact Camera, Adobe Visual Trends 2020, 1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Bur Dubai, Does Pearl Die In Vampire Diaries, Homemade Chex Mix Calories, Healthy Habits For Students Essay, List Five Best Practices Of Dashboard Design, Cricket Supplies Near Me,